Sunday, February 3, 2013

Italian Almond and Orange Cookies


This weekend has been boring for me cuz my husband is not home, thus there is no cooking as usual. However, after spending a dull half day, I could no longer stay put and decided to do something funnier than aimlessly surfing on the net..and no wonder it could be nothing but baking !

I've found this Italian cookie on seriouseat recently and saved it on my google drive in a list- to-bake category.. though it's unexpectedly made earlier than I thought !


The recipe ( adapted from here )

Ingredients ( make about 40 cookies )

For Cookies
1/2 cup ground almond ,toasted and cooled
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
scant 3/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg yolk (white reserved)
1 teaspoon vanilla
orange zest from 1sunkist orange

For Coating
1 egg white (reserved from egg above)
1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds

Procedures

In the bowl, put the ground almond (already toasted and cooled ) with flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolk, orange zest, and vanilla; beat to combine. Add dry ingredients to the bowl and beat until it comes together into a dough. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece into a 2-inch wide log, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.

Adjust oven rack to lower and middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the first log of dough into 1/4th-inch wide slices.

Place egg white in a shallow bowl. Fill another shallow bowl with sliced almonds. Dip each cookie into egg white, then into sliced almonds to coat. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.






























































10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Work!
Did you toast the ground almonds after they were ground? Directions please (time/temp).

pepsakoy said...

I used ground almond, not sliced one and toasted it with frying pan ..you can do like the original recipe which I have got a link ..

Ella Bella's Kitchen Adventures said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made these tonight and they came out good. I added 2 tbsps of orange juice for more orange flavor. I also had to bake mine for 12 minutes since my cookies were a tad smaller than yours.

miss mary said...

oh my goodness, these are good. i am 71 years old, and have made alot of cookies. i can truly say this is one of 2 standby cookies i make. thanks so much for sharing. i have been making these for 2 yrs. my other favorite is--chewy ginger cookies at "theviewfromgreatisland.com". please folks you must make these.

Unknown said...

I'm very sure I will make it and send it to my children in California.

Unknown said...

What is caster sugar? Can I use regular granulated sugar?

Zizzi said...

Can Almond Flour be used in place of 1/2 cup of ground almond?

Anonymous said...

olá bom dia. sou nova por aqui, pesquisando sobre biscoitos, encontrei sua receita, parece ótima, mas não intendi a quantidade de manteiga! teria como passar a quantidade em gramas.
mas vou fazer espero que consiga acertar. um beijo 😘

crazychickenlady said...

I've heard that if you mash your sugar with the grated orange zest you get more orange flavor! I'm going to try this recipe with that addition. It sounds wonderful.

MouseTales said...

Just made these and they turned out great. Instead of dipping the cookie in the egg white, I brushed it on the cookie then dipped in the almonds. A little less messy. I did not have caster sugar, but the regular granulated seemed to work just fine. I will make these again.
Thanks for sharing this recipe..